Here are tips to take care of yourself if you’re a caregiver!
The older we get, the more that we notice that the rolls are changing between us and our parents/guardians. They’re getting older and may have some challenges that prevent them from living their best life, so you step in to repay them for all their years of sacrifice and dedication to their families. You want to make sure their golden years are as comfortable and enjoyable as possible, but sometimes in the process we neglect ourselves. We can’t fully take care of and support our loved ones if we aren’t at our very best.
Think of taking a trip on an airline. The flight attendant always instructions passengers that in case of an emergency, place the oxygen masks on yourself first before trying to help anyone. Think of your life as a trip, and it’s time to put the oxygen mask on. If you’re not sure where to begin, here are tips for caregivers for maintaining health and well being.
- Get exercise on a regular basis.
- Maintain a healthy-heart diet.
- Make time for yourself.
- Keep humor in your life.
- Get out and about.
- Watch out for signs of depression.
- Take care of your personal business as well as your caregivers.( don’t neglect yourself)
- Keep medical and dental appointments.
- Think positively.
- Stay connected with the outside world.