The first death from a vaping-related lung injury has been reported in Michigan. The Michigan Department of Health and Human Services announced Friday that an adult male died on Wednesday. No other information about the victim is being released for confidentiality reasons.
MDHHS chief medical executive and chief deputy for health for MDHHS, Dr. Joneigh Khaldun, said to protect public health, the department is urging people to consider refraining from vaping until the specific cause of the vaping-related severe lung injuries nationwide has been
identified. In addition, MDHHS recommends the following:
- Anyone who uses an e-cigarette or vaping product should not buy these products off the street and should never modify or add any substances to these products that are not intended by the manufacturer.
- Youth, young adults and pregnant women should not use e-cigarette or vaping products.
- Adults who do not currently use tobacco products should not start using e-cigarette products.
- Adults who are vaping should not smoke combustible cigarettes as a replacement for nicotine. E-cigarettes are not FDA approved as a smoking cessation device. Free help is available for individuals who are ready to kick the tobacco habit at 800-QUIT-NOW (800-784-8669).
Thirty confirmed or probable vaping-related lung injury cases have been reported in Michigan since August 30th. All were in Michigan’s lower peninsula and most of those affected were hospitalized for severe respiratory illness. The patients ranged in aged from 16 to 67.
Nationwide, there have been 18 deaths in 15 states and 1,080 cases in 48 states of vaping-related lung injuries as of October 1.